Special Procedures Nurse (RN Required) - Nexus Specialty Hospital - Shenandoah, TX
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Nursing Officer, the Special Procedures RN provides direct nursing care in accordance with the laws governing nursing practice and hospital policy.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
Apply Here »
- Develop process for receiving procedure orders
- Education of staff regarding procedure process
- Development of Moderate Sedation study guide, post-test and competency check –off and ensure test and competency is up to date on annual basis
- Training and evaluation of staff competency in moderate sedation
- Maintain PICC certification and proficiency
- Maintain continuing education in IV therapy, vascular access, PICC placement with ultrasound guidance
- Evaluate, correct or write Policy and Procedure for specialty procedures
- Universal Procedural Protocol with Time Out for each procedure
- Conscious Sedation: pre-procedure assessment, sedation, recovery
- Endoscopy tech: EGD /PEG, Bronchoscopy, Colonoscopy, EGD/ DIAGNOSTIC, EGD/ BIOPSY, pre-procedure set-up, post-procedure processing and storage of all scopes and equipment.
- Assist with all endoscopy procedures
- Set-up and assist with Interventional Radiology Procedures
- Collaborates with other department to ensure cleanliness of treatment room
- Responsible to stock supplies in treatment room
- Cleans scopes cabinet weekly and as needed
- Outpatient Baclofen Pump: analyze, refill and maintain, schedule follow-up appointments, contact physician for orders post refill- maintain outpatient chart/documentation. Submit order to pharmacy and outpatient clinic.
- Inpatient Baclofen Pump refill and Maintenance: interrogate pump and determine date to be refilled, submit order to pharmacy, perform refill when needed. Make dose changes when ordered by physician.
- Patient evaluation for PICC or other central vascular access within 3 days of admission.
- Place PICC lines using ultrasound guidance, chest x-ray for confirmation, orders to use once placement verified by chest x-ray
- Post PICC placement follow-up.
- Assist nursing staff with difficult IV insertions
- Assist with central line troubleshooting and de-clotting
- Clinical orientation and Skills Fair; class / IV Therapy & Special Procedures education.
- Continuing education of nursing staff re: IV Therapy; central line care, maintenance, infection prevention
- Equipment and supply procurement, evaluation of equipment and supplies, implementation of changes as needed
- Preform weekly central line bundle audits
- Develops/participates in Performance Improvement Activities
- Perform blood transfusion documentation audits
- Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
- Preferred minimum of at least one (1) year of experience in the acute/post-acute hospital setting
- PICC Insertion Experience Preferred
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State in which performing duties.
- Maintain current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State in which performing duties
- Certified in BLS/ACLS
- Attend Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training annually as required by the facility
- PICC Certification Preferred