Under the direct supervision of the Director of Respiratory, the Respiratory Therapist RRT is responsible for administering therapeutic and diagnostic procedures to patients with respiratory disorders, including patients requiring intensive care treatment.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
▪ Provides theory backed evidence-based patient and family education.
▪ Follows verbal and written orders from physicians in administering drugs and medications to the cardiopulmonary system of patients.
▪ Documents complete patient assessment upon admission within the time frame per policy and initiate plan of care.
▪ Develops effective treatment plans.
▪ Evaluates treatment program, results and takes appropriate action.
▪ Performs assessments of Arterial Blood gases, Ventilator Management, EKG’s and chest x-rays.
▪ Proficient in performing in emergency situations calmly and with no other backup therapist if the situation arises.
▪ Evaluates patient response/outcomes to procedures performed, treatments, medication administration and other aspects of the treatment plan.
▪ Recognizes changes in patient condition and initiates actives to facilitate appropriate responses.
▪ Communicates with the Director of Respiratory, physicians, team members regarding patient progress, and change in condition.
▪ Communicates pertinent information regarding patient’s progress and discharge planning needs to appropriate hospital and medical staff.
▪ Demonstrates the philosophy of teamwork, trust, and promote to the general welfare and co-operation with other employees.
▪ Participates as necessary for patient care conferences and weekly team and neurology meetings.
▪ Records clinical documentation according to accepted regulatory, corporate and professional guidelines.
▪ Records daily treatments and labor per departmental procedures.
▪ Completes accurate reports and electronically documents treatments according to facility policies.
▪ Participates in discharge planning.
▪ Adheres to the hospital infection control policies and OSHA guidelines following universal precautions at all times.
▪ Serve as lead/on-call therapist when the department director is unavailable.
▪ Communicates and coordinates clinical services department functions with other departments to achieve cohesion and effectiveness.
▪ Presents him/herself in a professional manner when representing facility.
▪ Communicates with the Director of Respiratory Therapy regarding department programs, goals, objectives, problems, and successes.
▪ Resolves, with the assistance of Director of Respiratory Therapy, areas of concern or conflict with patient’s families, co-workers or external customers in a professional, proactive, and courteous manner.
▪ Provides pertinent shift hand-off report to other members of the team.
▪ Complies with state regulations and national standards as they apply to the practice of Respiratory Therapy.
▪ Communicates effectively with professional colleagues.
▪ Records temperatures and performs laboratory maintenance equal participation to a coworker.
▪ Performs and records daily quality controls at the established intervals equal participation to a coworker.
▪ Ensures documentation and charging of resource/supplies.
▪ Covers the Woodlands campus when required.
▪ Performs and completes other duties as assigned.
▪ Graduate from an AMA accredited Respiratory Therapy Program.
▪ Three years as a Registered Respiratory Therapist with experience in the environment and level of the core in which performing duties including up to mechanical ventilation experience.
▪ Intubation skills preferred.
▪ Current Respiratory Care Practitioner license in the State of Practice.
▪ Current Basic Life Support- American Heart Association Certification.
▪ Current Advance Life-Support- American Heart Association Certification preferred.
▪ Pediatric Advanced Life Support-American Heart Association preferred.
▪ Crisis Prevention Intervention Certification obtained within the first 90 days of hire. Then annually.
▪ Must maintain current certification in good standing during employment with this facility.