Psychiatric Technician - Nexus Children's Hospital - Houston, TX
Under the direct supervision of the House Supervisor, care for mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed individuals, following physician instructions and hospital procedures. Monitor patients’ physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral medications and hypodermic injections.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Completes and records patient vital signs in a timely manner.
- Ensures that patient temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure are taken and recorded as per instruction.
- Knowledgeable of vital sign ranges and appropriately reports abnormalities in a timely manner.
- Ensures that fluid and food intake and output are appropriately measured and recorded.
- Assists patients with activities of daily living. (e.g. bathing, oral hygiene, care of hair, oral feedings, positioning, transfers, etc.)
- Ensures that any change in patient condition or unusual circumstances is reported immediately to the primary nurse.
- Can verbalize the CNA role in patient emergency situations and cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Practices correct isolation techniques to maintain a safe environment and to control spread of infection
- Maintains cleanliness of various instruments and equipment used per hospital policy.
- Keeps patient rooms clean and in an orderly condition
- Assist with restocking rooms with supplies and equipment as directed.
- Exchanges and communicates patient care information upon change of shift.
- Performs walking rounds at change of shift.
- Completes all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Ability to accept direction from supervisors and other management team members in a positive and professional manner.
- Returns all soiled trays upon patient meal completion in a timely manner.
- Ensures soiled linen hampers are covered, cleaned and/or emptied as required.
- Demonstrates ability to assess patient and unit needs, communicating those needs to a supervisor or appropriate persons.
- Performs patients’ weights as ordered
- Updates patient communication board daily for assigned patient group.
- Maintains patient turning schedule.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Monitor patients’ physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric and personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed or mentally retarded patients.
- Observe and influence patients’ behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling and befriending them.
- Take and record measures of patients’ physical condition, using devices such as thermometers and blood pressure gauges.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, and other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills and develop social relationships.
- Collaborate with and assist doctors, psychologists, and rehabilitation therapists working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients in order to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Develop and teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Aid patients in performing tasks such as bathing and keeping beds, clothing and living areas clean.
- Administer oral medications and hypodermic injections, following physician’s prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status and to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Contact patients’ relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Follow all HBH procedures and guidelines
- Be knowledgeable with HBH Obesity Program Guidelines
- Coordinate with all other disciplines when possible to assist in educating patient and family
- Coordinate with other disciplines to create enjoyable activities
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school Degree or equivalent
- At least one (1) year experience in working in a hospital/rehabilitation/long-term care environment in a psych setting
Apply Here »
- Certified as a Certified Nursing Assistant in the State of Texas preferred
- Certified in SAMA within 30 days of employment
- Certified in CPR