Pharmacy Technician PRN - Nexus Specialty Hospital - Shenandoah, TX
Under the supervision of the Director Pharmacy, the Pharmacy Technician will fill routine orders for unit dose, prepare pre-packaged pharmaceuticals per demand and demonstrate proficiency in delivering care to assigned age-specific patient population.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
Apply Here »
- Demonstrates ability to effectively work with Administration team and nursing staff.
- Review and provide cost analysis for medications on pre-admission evaluations.
- Ensures medications are available upon admission.
- Follows procedures to order medications via the wholesaler / vendor to include, but not limited to: Ordering on-contract / least expensive; reconcile and sign invoice upon receipt.
- Reads and interprets physician orders.
- Manipulates pharmaceuticals in preparation for dispensing.
- Exhibits appropriate usage of equipment necessary for compounding, preparing, labeling, and dispensing drugs.
- Maintains Pyxis according to best practice to include, but not limited to: stocking appropriate quantities, checking expiration dates; rotating stock; loading medications; establishing par levels; checking return bin; resolving discrepancies.
- Processes orders, prepares and monitors the use and administration of medication therapies in the hospital as required by applicable laws and regulations and in accordance with accepted standards of practice.
- Maintains a clean, organized pharmacy at all times.
- Counts, packages, and labels unit doses for inspection by pharmacist and fills routine orders for non-prescription pharmaceuticals.
- Assists pharmacist as directed including filling orders, preparing labels, and computer related work.
- Assists with IV preparation and delivery. Follows USP 797 / best practice guidelines.
- Logs controlled drugs delivered to the pharmacy, puts away and rotates stock as needed. Completes / signs DEA 222 form upon receipt. Completes / signs all Pyxis reports to include, but not limited to: discrepancies; delivery, return, and refill.
- Prepares and makes deliveries to patient units and ancillary departments.
- Checks for bulk items in blue-bin or refrigerator for refill.
- Removes medications from patient blue bins / refrigerator upon patient discharge.
- Reconciles IV’s and medications not administered before printing IV batch.
- Reconciles any medications not given via Refill list.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required to include, but not limited to: temperature logs in Pharmacy and Nursing stations; IV hood cleaning; controlled substance use; discrepancy reports.
- Presents ideas to improve services and efficiencies.
- Prints and distributes daily Pyxis reports to appropriate departments / individuals.
- Performs monthly medication area inspections.
- Processes recall notices.
- Complies with state regulations and national standards as they apply to pharmacy.
- Communicates and collaborates with other clinical service departments to achieve cohesion and effectiveness.
- Participates in monthly staff meetings to ensure appropriate information is reported and communicated.
- Communicates operational concerns and needs to the Director Pharmacy, when necessary.
- Ensures there are no “unknown” drug descriptions in Pyxis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prefer 1 year of hospital experience.
- IV Certified
- Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPht)
- Registered Pharmacy Technician in State of Texas
- IV Certification
- Current CPR certification
- High School or equivalent.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.