Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA) - PRN - Nexus Children's Hospital - Houston, TX
Under the direct supervision of the Occupational Therapist (OT) , the Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant treats patients according to a treatment plan approved by attending physician and/or Occupational Therapists and participates in patient care.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Knowledgeable of normal standards during treatment and appropriately reports abnormalities in a timely manner.
- Ensures that any change in patient condition or unusual circumstances is reported immediately to the charge nurse.
- Recognizes and communicates cardiopulmonary arrest or other emergency situations and initiates basic life support when appropriate.
- Practices correct isolation techniques to maintain a safe environment to control the spread of infection.
- Maintains the cleanliness of utilized instruments and equipment per hospital policy.
- Demonstrates knowledge of occupational therapy equipment utilized in different procedures, for example, traction, ultrasound, whirlpool, etc.
- Utilizes resources appropriately and uses and maintains equipment in order to prolong working life.
- Completes all required documentation of patient care according to accepted regulatory, corporate and professional guidelines.
- Resolves conflicts, with assistance from OT or Director of Rehabilitation, areas of concern or conflict with patient’s families and/or co-workers in a professional, proactive and courteous manner.
- Accepts direction from supervisors and other management team members in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicates with the OT, Director of Rehabilitation, physicians and other health team members regarding patient progress, problems and plans.
- Participates as necessary inpatient care conferences.
- Participates in In-Service Training Programs.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Establish and instruct caregivers in patient-specific maintenance programs.
- Secure necessary durable medical equipment and adaptive equipment for patients to facilitate independence.
- Treats patients according to the treatment plan established by OT and approved by the physician.
- Records daily treatments and charges with respect to department policy.
- Communicates with the Director of Rehabilitation regarding department programs, goals, objectives, problems and successes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A graduate of an American Occupational Therapy Association accredited school of COTA
- Preferred six (6) months experience working in a hospital/rehabilitation setting
- Pediatric experience preferred
Apply Here »
- Current Licensure as a Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant in the State of Practice
- Certified in CPR and CPI
- Maintain current certification in good standing during employment with this facility, or, obtain within thirty (30) days of hire